I HAVE NOT GIVEN YOU PERMISSION TO COPY OR PUBLISH MY PHOTOGRAPHS

Please be aware that I do not wish to have my photographs published , pinned or repinned on Pinterest.

copyright notice

Thursday, August 13, 2009

The Nabateans

The Mysterious Nabateans





One has to admire the beautiful ceramics of the ancient Nabateans. It was the Nabateans who made and painted ceramics so different and so beautiful, that it set them apart from other potters of 2,500 years ago.

The picture shows Nabatean Pottery sherds, brick red, extremely thin and delicately painted, excavated from the "Temple of the Winged Lions", Petra, South Jordan. The heavier, buff colored sherds are from the same period, crafted by local artisans.

In the early 1980's I catalogued an entire season of artifacts from one of the digs. These were a present from my Professor.

Gina


No comments:

Post a Comment