I HAVE NOT GIVEN YOU PERMISSION TO COPY OR PUBLISH MY PHOTOGRAPHS

Please be aware that I do not wish to have my photographs published , pinned or repinned on Pinterest.

copyright notice

Sunday, March 21, 2010

Ceramic Mural


A pilgrimage to Spello in Umbria







This is only a small section of a large ceramic mural I finished this past week.


The original, painted by Giacomo Mancini, in the mid 1500's, is now located in a side chapel of the Church of Santa Maria Maggiore in Spello, Italy. The ceramic pavement was found in the Baglioni Chapel of the church, beneath the main altar.



It was recently moved to a side chapel, is roped off and covered with heavy Plexiglass panels.



What a disappointment! Having come so far and not even get a glimpse of this fine masterpiece.



Gina


6 comments:

  1. A stunning piece of work, Gina! I'm in awe. Have a wonderful week. – g :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Diana, thank you for your lovely comment and salutation to Gene. Gene was so pleased to be remembered. I see that you are very involved in creating beauty for your upcoming season at your very special B&B in Aqui Terme.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Georgianna, As before, you have an open invitation. I would love to see what you can do with a day or so of ceramic painting lessons. With your eye for beauty and design, something wonderful will be the outcome.
    Have a great week and please enter my giveaway (above).

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had the same disappointment when I went to see la madonna del parto. It had been peeled off the original wall and moved to a museum across the road, in a sterile looking room, totally out of context. It may last longer, but it's not the same fresco at all.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Francesca, So true, but at least we get to see it in the first place because it has been put in a safe place.

    I have heard that the mural in the chapel of Santa Maria Maggiore is uncovered for short periods of time. Would love to know when.

    ReplyDelete