I HAVE NOT GIVEN YOU PERMISSION TO COPY OR PUBLISH MY PHOTOGRAPHS

Please be aware that I do not wish to have my photographs published , pinned or repinned on Pinterest.

copyright notice

Wednesday, January 28, 2015

Maestro Romano Ranieri



The great Maestro Romano Ranieri will be laid to rest today at the Church of Pontenuovo di Deruta, Umbria, Italy.  


Romano Ranieri

"He prefers not to be exalted."






"Proudly, he is the artistic director at the Romano Ranieri School of Ceramic Art in Deruta.
Romano Ranieri is one of our most appreciated and loved artists... producing the most beautiful ceramics with superior characteristics."





ginaceramics

Vividly, I remember my first day painting at the Scuola d' Arte Ceramica in Deruta, Italy
I painted the tile you see above on my second day of instructions







This is "my" desk at the Scuola






This tile was my first assignment.  After a few hours of painting, Professor Nicola Boccini decided that I could move on to a more difficult pattern.  This is the way the school tests your level of expertise. 







I've painted at this fantastic school several times.  Students walk in and out all day.  They are encouraged to paint when they can.  Always, the most revered Maestro, Romano Ranieri, is painting while keeping an eye on every student.  He graciously offers his help whenever needed. 

The Maestro gave me this beautiful book which contains many of his important works. 

Forever I will cherish the lovely message he wrote. 






Maestro Romano Ranieri, Deruta, Italy






Maestro Romano Ranieri







Maestro Romano Ranieri






Maestro Romano Ranieri






Maestro Romano Ranieri







Maestro Romano Ranieri







Maestro Romano Ranieri




All of the above Maestro Romano Ranieri

Thank You Maestro Ranieri 

Gina 




10 comments:

  1. Oh my Gina - I am so sad knowing that this amazing man has passed away - such a loss to Italy and the world of ceramic painting.

    I was so blown away by the Maestro's work you shared here that I've just watched two YouTube videos of him painting at his studio. . . . . . and I'm in awe! First video was narrated by Nicola Boccini, in Italian, which sadly I don't speak, but still it held my interest. Second was silent, not a sound of anything, just Maestro Ranieri painting a still life with bottles, fruit etc. which left me breathless and not missing the words, they weren't necessary and would in fact have spoiled the wonderful experience of watching him at work.

    How wonderful that you've been able to paint there in Deruta with him. That second piece you did of the lady has always been a favorite when it has popped up somewhere in your lovely photos on your posts, and is used as your profile pic. How quickly you perfected your craft to be able to create such an exquisite piece that fast.

    It is sad when great artists die, but how fortunate we are that they leave such beauty behind for us to enjoy for future centuries, both their own work and by teaching others such as yourself.
    Gina, thank you for sharing the beauty of ceramic art - how could anyone ever tire of looking at such wonders!

    With love, Mary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Mary, Maestro Ranieri was a most gifted painter. He was also very dedicated to his art. Most often he painted 18 hours a day.

      I was present one year when one of his very large ceramic plaques came out of the kiln. It was an Event. Many ceramic artists from Deruta were present to see this masterpiece. And it was perfect.

      He will be greatly missed.

      Delete
  2. Dear Gina,
    I know of this man only from you. You have shared his art several times on your wonderful blog. How lucky you are to have known him and to have been mentored by him. Although his life has come to an end his art will live on through his work and his students.
    Warmest greetings, Sieglinde

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Sieglinde, The Maestro was a very prolific painter. When interests in ceramic art waned he was not perturbed but continued painting and encouraging his students to continue with their studies. There are many fine ceramic artists living and working in Deruta but all of them revered Maestro Ranieri because his talent was exceptional.

      Delete
  3. Dear Gina - it must have been a sad day for you to learn of the death of Maestro Ranieri, but what a privilege it was for you to have known and been taught by him.
    The tile you made on your second day at the Scuola d' Arte Ceramica in Deruta is admired by me every time that I see it. It is a worthy choice for your avatar.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Rosemary, The Maestro was the kindest man you will ever meet. He never criticized but always gave encouragement to the young and inexperienced and the talented and not so talented. He wanted for everyone to enjoy the art that he so loved.

      Delete
  4. Dear Gina,

    I am so sorry that you have lost your beloved teacher. I can imagine that working with him was one of your life's highlights, and it is clear that he knew and respected your own talent. I did not know that your trademark image was produced on only your second day working with the maestro, and now I appreciate it all the more.

    I have a rolodex file in my living room next to my landline —which I still use — and long ago I put your card with that image at the front of the file. Your vision and energy, and by extention Romano Ranieri's, look out into my space and grace my house every day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Mark, I have no right to even be mentioned in the same sentence as the Maestro. When I first met the Maestro and saw his fantastic art placed along every possible space, I was very intimidated. He soon made me feel at ease. He never interfered but was only too eager to help when asked.
      I'm blown over by your kindness. Your friendship means a lot. Thank You.

      Delete
  5. Gina, what a great tribute to Maestro Ranieri you have written. Clearly, he was a very fine artist, a great inspiration and a dedicated teacher. How wonderful that you will now carry all his gifts in your own artistry.

    xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Frances, Because you are an artist in your own right you know that growing and learning is what makes us happy. To be tutored by the very Best was a dream come true.

      Delete