I HAVE NOT GIVEN YOU PERMISSION TO COPY OR PUBLISH MY PHOTOGRAPHS

Please be aware that I do not wish to have my photographs published , pinned or repinned on Pinterest.

copyright notice

Thursday, March 1, 2018

It's time to let Sweet Pea seeds germinate



Sweet Peas should be planted by late March in most areas.



Sweet Pea "Mollie Rilstone" is still my favorite.






Sweet Peas thrive where summer evenings are cool.








At least 2 to 3 weeks before planting, start germinating seeds in a plastic bag.

 Place moistened paper towel and seeds into plastic sandwich bag.  Keep top open and place by window.

Rinse seeds in cold water every 3 to 4 days, each time place back into plastic bag.






  After  about 2 weeks your seeds will have sprouted and they are ready to be planted.  Sprouts are very sturdy and can be handled easily.





If your nights still register below freezing temperatures, plant each sprouted seed in pots. 

Plant them out after all frost is gone. 






Sweet Pea "Wiltshire Ripple"






Sweet Pea "Mollie Rilstone" is now available from most seed companies.

And so is Wiltshire Ripples.





 Blue and lavender sweet peas have the most intense perfume.  






Dill stalks keep the water fresh.








Sweet Peas are happy when arranged with other flowers. 

Do you have a favorite Sweet Pea?

Gina 




8 comments:

  1. I adore sweet peas Gina, mother and I grew so many in the garden when I was a child, building string trellises for them to climb - they have always been a very popular English garden flower. Yours are so beautiful always - and your photography is lovely. I didn't know about adding dill to keep water fresh - does that work for all cut flowers! Wish I was home this coming month to work on seeds - perhaps it won't be too late to try starting some in April!

    Take care you two favorite friends - we'll be leaving soon!
    Mary xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Mary, The only time my Sweet Peas wouldn't bloom is the year we built our new house. I didn't get around to planting them early (late May). They sprouted but wouldn't bloom.
      You will find the perfect conditions, for growing Sweet Peas, in England. The humidity produces the largest and finest blooms. Yes, dill keeps flower water fresh a little longer.
      Wishing you Bon Voyage for your new and exciting trip.

      Delete
  2. Like Mary I love sweet peas too Gina, and not only the flowers but their wonderful perfume too. Is'nt wonderful the way such loveliness can grow from such a small seed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Rosemary, You are so right. Sometimes, on a warm, late summer evening, the perfume is so intoxicating. I can't imagine not having them in my garden.

      Delete
  3. Dear Gina,
    such pretty and delicate flowers. I wish I could grow them but we do not have cool nights.I will try Nasturtium
    seeds in pots with other plants this year and see what happens.
    Hugs, Sieglinde

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Sieglinde, You will be so happy with Nasturtiums. They must be one of the easiest flowers to grow. There are so many new and unusual colors to choose from. You might want to pre-soak the seeds for faster germinating. I know that you will love them in your garden.

      Delete
  4. Your Sweet Peas always remind me of precious days gone by with my loved ones past... How delightful each and all and Dill to keep the water fresh...I have never heard and how wonderful that you knew. Always such a pleasure~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Mary,
      Dill is such a wonderful plant. Once seeded it will volunteer readily. The wind disperses the seeds everywhere and I let it grow. It is a pretty sight to see it growing amongst cosmos and zinnias. That it keeps the flower water fresh, was a discovery made by serendipity.

      Delete