I HAVE NOT GIVEN YOU PERMISSION TO COPY OR PUBLISH MY PHOTOGRAPHS

Please be aware that I do not wish to have my photographs published , pinned or repinned on Pinterest.

copyright notice

Sunday, October 24, 2010

Our Trees, young and old



Meine Allee ist aufgewachsen



It wasn't so long ago when these 100 trees were little saplings which arrived in bundles of twentyfive





By the lake






The old Chinese Elm, a place for Summer picnics






New Summit Ash, for clothelines to stretch between






We designed our house to fit within the space of 2 old trees, not the other way around






Three old trees stood here.  One was hit by lightning, the other was blown over by the wind and the last tree died of a broken heart.  In their honor we planted three new trees


Trees
I think that I shall never see
A poem lovely as a tree.

A tree whose hungry mouth is prest
Against the earth's sweet flowing breast;

A tree that looks at God all day,
And lifts her leafy arms to pray;

A tree that may in summer wear
A nest of robins in her hair;

Upon whose bosom snow has lain;
Who intimately lives with rain.

Poems are made by fools like me,
But only God can make a Tree.

            Joyce Kilmer





8 comments:

  1. Your trees are glorious in all of their fall colors! Thoughtful of you to build your house between the trees instead of cutting them down. I wish more people payed homage to the tree. Just came off of a 2 week campaign to save the pristine oak woodland that surrounds my home. You would think a city like Santa Barbara would be more enlightened. Enjoy your beautiful tress and vistas.

    ~jermaine

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've only ever planted an olive tree, I know I'd be sorry to leave trees behind once we more (if ever ...).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Jermaine, would love to know more about your 2 week campaign to save your oak woodlands.
    One wall of an old farmhoue stood on our property. We had to tear it down but all of the more than 100-year old trees we were able to save.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Francesca, I would love to plant and would plant an olive tree but our winters are too cold and too long. I am so glad that our homesteaders planted so many trees on our property, almost 100 years ago. That is why we are planting trees.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear Gina, you continue to amaze me with your unique and spectacular property! Truly there is nothing like it in the world. I love your allee and your reverence for the old trees that were on your property. Being surrounded by trees myself, I appreciate every single one. Future generations will greatly appreciate what you have created there. xo – g

    ReplyDelete
  6. Loved this post -- and the unique way you see the world. That last tree with the broken heart just had me. My husband just introduced me to a song by Rush called The Trees. The maples and oaks were fighting over the sunlight until man came along and made their fight obsolete (they were chopped down). Sad and yet so true. We once worked in a house where they built it around the tree...you walked in and there was the tree in the foyer...incredible. Wish I had taken pics. Glad you preserved yours as well. Have a wonderful day, dear Gina.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dear Georgianna, We are both very lucky to have so many trees on our properties. I think this little verse says it all: When in trouble, hug a tree.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dear Regina, Robert Redford, at his Sundance Restaurant, has a very old and huge tree growing right through the middle of the Dining Room. I don't know if it is still there.
    Thank you for your very special comment.

    ReplyDelete