I HAVE NOT GIVEN YOU PERMISSION TO COPY OR PUBLISH MY PHOTOGRAPHS

Please be aware that I do not wish to have my photographs published , pinned or repinned on Pinterest.

copyright notice

Saturday, December 29, 2012

Snow, the fierce artificer

  
Only a short mile from our new house

sits the old house.
The house we lived in on weekends. 





Along the way the snow has covered a multitude of sins.






Maybe one day a new house will sit here.









Waiting for a family.






Friends of ours have restored this fine old barn.






Have danced many a Polka here.







 While on a visit to Mongolia, our friends shipped an authentic Yurt.  It was delivered complete with stove, fabrics, furnishings, fine embroideries and even hand made shoes.  It serves as an extra sleeping room.






Speaking of shoes, this is how I get around in the deep snow.






I remember my first pair, purchased in Italy more than 40 years ago.  There have been many more since, every color, every style. 






The old chicken coop has become a guest cottage.






And the main house built of fine local stone.




  

For many years we lived next door.  Mr. G made this small opening in the gate for me with the comment that if ever I could not fit through it, he would divorce me.  No worries, we built a new house.





With a wider gate.




To our new house.
   
The Snow-Storm
Ralph Waldo Emerson

...Come see the north wind’s masonry.       
Out of an unseen quarry evermore
Furnished with tile, the fierce artificer
Curves his white bastions with projected roof
Round every windward stake, or tree, or door.
Speeding, the myriad-handed, his wild work       
So fanciful, so savage, naught cares he
For number or proportion. Mockingly,
On coop or kennel he hangs Parian wreaths;
A swan-like form invests the hidden thorn;
Fills up the farmer’s lane from wall to wall,



 Have a great weekend my dear
Blogging Friends.
Gina




13 comments:

  1. Hi Gina,
    let me be the first one this morning, unknown to you,to thank you for a year of the most wonderful posts on your very special blog. I have enjoyed every visit without a word, I am shy........but
    no more.I feel that you gave me so much of yourself that I finally have to let you know of my
    pleasure with your ceramic painting, photography,
    house and garden, travel and words.
    Wishing you and Mr.G a most sparkling new year
    with warmest greetings from cold Texas, Sieglinde

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Sieglinde (is there a Brunhilde also in your family), Thank you for your visit and your wonderful comments. I'm so flattered and pleased to hear from you. Wishing you and yours a most joyous New Year and health and happiness for your family to enjoy.

      Delete
    2. Good Morning Gina,
      and how lovely to see a reply from you.My name was probably not chosen from die Nibelungen and there is no Brunhilde. I am also the only one in my family to live in this big land and your wonderful snow scenes remind me of Canada where I have lived for a number of years. Seems so
      long ago..........Greetings, Sieglinde

      Delete
  2. Dearest Gina,
    Both houses look so lovely with the snow all around. Your main house is divine.. I love the colour too.
    Its been great reading all your wonderful posts.
    I love your friends yurt! very different.
    I would also love a pair of those boots.
    wishing you a wonderful last weekend of 2012.
    val xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Val, Thank you for sharing your very touching love story. You are a very special Lady. I enjoy reading your blog posts and love the little vignettes of your life that you share with us.
      Happy New Year, health and prosperity to you and yours. oxox, Gina

      Delete
  3. Dear Gina, I have to agree with Val that both of your houses are very picturesque — and welcoming. I think it would be great fun to sleep in a yurt, if only to say one had! And I like the construction of that barn, and can imaagine the work that went into it. You are lucky to be surrounded by interesting neighbors, and they're lucky to know (the still slim) you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Mark, Yurts have always been fascinating. I mostly love their incredibly ornate interiors. And those beautifully painted and carved doors are a wonder. The doors that can not be folded up but must go on top of the camel in one piece.
      And, yes, I can still get through the little gate opening.
      Wishing you and yours "einen guten rutsch ins Neue Jahr" and health, happiness and prosperity to boot.

      Delete
  4. Dear Gina - what a lovely post, your house could be in Italy but minus the snow, although I do think that they get more there now than ever before. It must be a thrill and a joy to travel up your long drive when returning from trips away.
    These days I have a stupid desire to own something like a yurt, I do not know why. I have suggested to H that we put something in the garden where we can have a log stove and maybe even a pull out bed so that it is possible to sleep, but really what would be the point when we have plenty of bedrooms and space going spare in the house.
    The blue sky and the pure white snow look so pure and fresh and I do hope that your guests managed to make it to your home today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Rosemary, Why not have what you wish for? A yurt or a brightly painted Gypsy wagon in your garden is a great idea. I loved sleeping in our little cabin with the wooden log stove ablaze and so hot that we had to open the doors and windows in the middle of the night.
      Yes, our guests came and we had a wonderful time...even took out the "Flexible Flyers" for a memorable sleigh ride.
      I'm looking forward to the New Year and I am also looking forward to reading about your adventures and your beautiful photographs.
      May the New Year bring you and your family all that is good and desirable. Love, Gina

      Delete
  5. Great and fun post, but I'll confess: I had to google yurt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Keetha, We even have yurts in the United States. I know of a country ski trail in Idaho where you can sleep in a yurt. Happy New Year to you and your family. Thank you for your visits. They are so appreciated. ox, Gina

      Delete
  6. I feel my blogging year is complete now, dear Gina, having seen this breathtaking photo of your estate in the snow. Your home is a dream and an inspiration!

    Thank you for the beautiful card – the jewel colors are joyful and brighten up our office during these overcast days.

    Wishing you and Gene a most wonderful New Year filled with health, happiness and peace.

    xoxo

    G

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dearest Georgianna, If I have done anything right it is beacause of your exampliary style. I feel fortunate and blessed to call you my friend. I look forward to seeing the New Year through your eyes and excellent photography. We wish you and David a New Year of health and happiness and all the good things that life has to offer.
    Gene and Gina

    ReplyDelete