I HAVE NOT GIVEN YOU PERMISSION TO COPY OR PUBLISH MY PHOTOGRAPHS

Please be aware that I do not wish to have my photographs published , pinned or repinned on Pinterest.

copyright notice

Thursday, April 1, 2021

Brigitta knits Baby Hats.

 

My Sister Brigitta knits Baby hats.  


You say what's so special about that?



What is special is that she has knit almost 900 of them. 

And she has knit over 400 hats for the Homeless. 
 
You see, she belongs to a hospital group by the name of
"Healthy Circle."

They usually travel to far off places but you know what happened to that. 

Now that is not the end of the story. 



Brigitta, my Sister, is an expert Lace Maker





Brigitta is called upon to identify lace for Museums. 

Only a few Island of Burano Lace Makers remember these patterns.  
It has become a lost art. 






 Brigitta made this " 's Gravenmoer"  Lace Fan with silk threads from Germany.




Brigitta has published 5 books about lace making.




Her books contain original patterns which she herself has designed.




This Lace Fan requires 200 bobbins.






From her books, easy to follow (for a lace maker) instructions for one of her original designs.

Brigitta is proficient in many Lace styles, such as Russian Tape Lace, Schneeberger, Torchon, Bedfordshore, Milanese, Tatting and more.




Brigitta has many jeweled bobbins.  These plain bobbins are easier to work with when she needs so many.   The painted bobbin in the middle,  marks the only thread that is different.  It is called "gimp" a heavier thread.

My Sister, Brigitta, is a year older than I.  While growing up in East Germany we were taught many skills at home and in school. 
Those skills have served us well allowing us to pursue whatever art form appealed to us.

Gina


Note:  My Sister's lace instruction books are available from her Vendor.  Please contact Trudy Scholten,




8 comments:

  1. Dear Gina - your sister and yourself are both very talented and artistic people - Brigitta's lacework is exquisite.
    I have watched lacemakers working over here, and can appreciate both the skills and the concentration that it must require to manipulate and work all of those bobbins.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Rosemary,
      Watching my sister work is eye opening. She doesn't seem to be working by a plan but throwing bobbins this way and that way. I'm glad that I have not chosen to create lace and no doubt she is delighted that she has, and that she is not painting ceramics.

      Delete
  2. That first sentence of Rosemary's is almost the exact words I was going to type! My thoughts were of my Grandmother Matilda who loved to tatt. I have her bobbin and a beautiful tablecloth she created for my Mother (her daughter). The two of you must have a lot of very specific information you share with each other when situations arise within each of your fields and you each know the other will be more than patient with the other to listen! Life growing up must have been very detailed and informative for you both! When I visited Bruges there were women creating lace and possibly also in Venice when I was there as well! That field of study is one art I haven't even tipped my toe in but I do appreciate the creativity and quality of the productions! 900 baby hats! What an accomplishment and she is probably still adding to that number.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Mary,
      You are correct. My sister is still adding to the number of hats she has already delivered. Every now and then she goes to the hospital with another delivery of hats. She donates them. What I didn't tell in my post is that her daughter Anita knits the booties.
      My sister and I really don't talk much about our chosen activity. We don't want to bore each other.

      Delete
  3. Two such very special sisters for sure! Brigitta, like you, is soooo talented. Her knitted hats are adorable. The lace work is just unbelievable. So delicate and perfect, I just can't imagine sitting for hours doing such intricate work. I have seen the ladies making lace on the island of Burano.

    The world is fortunate to have such talented sisters who have added so much beauty with their talented hands. Thanks for sharing Brigitta with us - and the wonderful photos showing the details Gina.
    Mary X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Mary,
      Isn't Burano a wonderful place to visit. I thought that it was more interesting than Murano. The houses, painted with bright colors, and the large Piazza make it a must see.
      It's not only her laces but those instructions she designs are mind boggling. She has sold hundreds of her books and all over the world. Makes one wonder if lace is making a comeback.

      Delete
  4. So very beautiful and special! What a talented and artistic family you have, if you two sisters are any indication of the rest of the family!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello Sara,
    Thank you for stopping by. We grew up in a very small town. That meant that we all had to do our share.

    ReplyDelete