I HAVE NOT GIVEN YOU PERMISSION TO COPY OR PUBLISH MY PHOTOGRAPHS

Please be aware that I do not wish to have my photographs published , pinned or repinned on Pinterest.

copyright notice

Tuesday, November 10, 2009

The most beautiful milk store in the world



Every available space is covered with hand painted ceramic tiles in Farmer Pfunds milkstore of 1879


Detail of hand painted Ceramic Tiles made by Villeroy & Boch specifically for the Pfund Milk Store

The "Most Beautiful Milk Store in the World", as you can see it today, made it into the Guinnes Book of World Records in 1998.

Farmer Paul Pfund had a new idea. Milk should not be delivered in open wagons. Milk should be dispensed from a milk store. At the end of the 19th c. he moved from his farm with his family, 6 cows and 6 pigs to Dresden and opened the "most beautiful milk store in the world."

During the time of the East German regime, this beautiful shop was to be destroyed, along with thousands of hand painted ceramic tiles. It just didn't get done. They didn't get around to it. Pfunds Milk store is now a wonderful place to visit.

In a couple of days I will be teaching an intensive, 3-day historic tile painting workshop. I will have 9 students, the perfect number of students. They will receive lots of personal attention.

The workshop is being taught at the Traditional Building Skills Institute (TBSI), Ephraim, Utah. As in the past, my students will learn an old world technique, seldom taught in the United States.


Some of my students will continue learning. There is no limit to what they can achieve.

Gina





1 comment:

  1. Oh my! It is indeed the MOST beautiful milk store in the world.

    Farmer Pfunds would be horrified at our 7/11's.

    Wish I were in your painting class.

    ReplyDelete