I HAVE NOT GIVEN YOU PERMISSION TO COPY OR PUBLISH MY PHOTOGRAPHS

Please be aware that I do not wish to have my photographs published , pinned or repinned on Pinterest.

copyright notice

Saturday, January 7, 2012

George, my little Toughie


I named him George, he needed a tough name.





I found George next to his dead mother. George had not been by his mother the day before.  No doubt he had tried to get nourishment from other yews. They had all rejected him, as it is in nature.

Now he was in trouble. On my morning walks I noticed his mother a few days earlier. She didn't look right. I made a mental note that she did not have a lamb, thankfully. BUT I WAS WRONG.


I recognized the brand but could not locate the Rancher. When I came home I asked Gene to get a ladder and a shovel. We were either going over or under the tall wire fence enclosure.  He was very dehydrated. I rubbed him down with water and forced him to drink a little. He did not move.




I have raised several bummers. Bummers are newly born lambs who have been rejected by their mothers or who have lost their mother during the birthing process. I know of a special formula. It consists mainly of molasses, salt, baking soda and warm water.






It had worked well in the past. However, little George was not improving. He is probably the only lamb that has been chauffeured to the Vet in a Mercedes. The Vet gave me lots of encouragement but that was all.





George smelling poppies, he must be getting better.






All Bummers go back into the barn for the night. 






George slowly improved.  Now I could feed him a special lamb formula, rich in nutrients. He spent his days at his beach house and his nights in the barn.  As soon as my Bummers get healthy and strong I give them back to the Farmers.  This one was hard to let go.


Have a great weekend my dear Blogging Friends.
Gina




14 comments:

  1. A beautiful story of a precious little lamb. I think I would have had to keep him :) xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gina I am in love, love, LOVE with this story.

    Fisherhubby says you should have named him Sue 'cause according to the song naming a boy Sue makes him tough.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This story brought tears to my eyes, Gina.
    It would be hard for me to part with George, just like Barbara.
    But, from the little I know about you, you need to make room for the new bummers that will be breaking your heart in the future...

    Mary in Oregon

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fina, there is something pretty wonderful about this care given to the New Year's lamb George and to his response to this care.

    What happiness this must bring to all of your involved. xo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely story, I hope George will be well. Live in the farm can wake up in people a lot of love.
    Hugs- Polish Ag from Greece

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dear Gina - thanks for becoming a 'follower' - your blog is one of the most beautiful I have come across.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely story, and I can imagine how hard it must have been to let him go.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Barbara, I was tempted. Thank you for your visit. Gina

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Keetha, You'r right, Sue would have been a great name, at least those who love country music would have understood.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Dear Mary, I would keep every one of them but realize that it is not practical. So I have the pleasure of taking care of them for a little while, when they need lots of special attention.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Frances, I must admit that I am selfish. Little ones are always so appealing.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Agni, thank you for your visit. Living in a farm community has always been the place for me.

    ReplyDelete
  13. i Rosemary, I am so pleased to hear from you. It's mutual admiration...so glad that I found you. Gina

    ReplyDelete
  14. Dear Karen, When it comes to little ones I'm always ssuch a push over.

    ReplyDelete