I HAVE NOT GIVEN YOU PERMISSION TO COPY OR PUBLISH MY PHOTOGRAPHS

Please be aware that I do not wish to have my photographs published , pinned or repinned on Pinterest.

copyright notice

Saturday, February 1, 2020

For Lorrie



A few hints about keeping orchids happy.  



These orchids have been resting in an east facing window.  They were dormant for about 6 months.  All they needed was light and a little water now and then.





Or place in south and west exposure.  After 4 to five months orchid blossoms will drop.   Look out for thickening nobs along the stem.  Cut 2 to 3 inches above that.  It will throw a secondary spike and bloom for another 4 to 5 months.  

  


When I leave for a couple of weeks I place several orchids in a large, waterproof container, stuff with newspaper and pour water over everything.  
Orchids tolerate standing in 1 to 2 inches of water for a short period of time. 






Only 2 days ago I discovered this new spike on one of my Cymbidium orchids. 
I had no idea that it was forming.  I have ignored it for many, many months, watering it only when I walked past. 




I hope it is this pink color.  




I had this cymbidium for many years and then it had an unfortunate end.  A mouse came along and.....

https://ginaceramics.blogspot.com/2010/12/of-mice-and-men-and-my-cymbidium.html





A little moss on top is a very good idea.  






Once an orchid begins to bloom you can enjoy it in the rest of the house, even in a dark place.
You can even cut a stem and place it in water. 

Good Luck,
Gina 


6 comments:

  1. Gina, such wonderful blooms on your orchids, each plant looks so perfect and healthy, you really grow amazing things. I see the snow outside your windows in the second photo - but bright sunshine too. All is beautiful!
    I know Lorrie will enjoy your orchid growing tips - she's a lovely lady.
    Hugs - Mary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Mary,
      We have snow and more snow predicted. Finally brought the tractor up to snuff with the help of friends and a good mechanic. Now I just need an operator. I'm too short to reach the pedals. However, I know someone who has very long legs but lives many miles away.

      Delete
  2. Dear Gina - lots of great tips here for Lorrie which I know that she will appreciate.
    Before I started keeping Orchids many years ago, I had imagined that they would be difficult to keep and tend. I have several orchids today that are several years old, and I, like you, consider them to be really worth growing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Rosemary,
      You are so right. Orchids are worth growing. The hardest part is finding a good place for them when they are dormant. One of the reasons I like growing orchids is that they mostly bloom during the winter months and the shoulder seasons. This way I always have something pretty and alive.

      Delete
  3. I was so surprised to see my name in the title of your post. How lovely of you to post these orchid care tips - I have it bookmarked and will be trying them out soon, I hope. I see that Rosemary also imagined they would be difficult to keep, but she has been successful. So encouraging! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Lorrie,
      I just know that you will grow beautiful orchids. All orchids really need is a lot of light and water. Some growers even suggest, that when you get home with your orchid, you place a few ice cubes at the base of the plant. Ice cubes slowly melt and give the orchid just enough moisture. It works for one of my friends. What can be easier.

      Delete