I HAVE NOT GIVEN YOU PERMISSION TO COPY OR PUBLISH MY PHOTOGRAPHS

Please be aware that I do not wish to have my photographs published , pinned or repinned on Pinterest.

copyright notice

Sunday, April 19, 2020

Be prepared for an ugly surprise.


What do you think happened here? 
Seedlings forced themselves through the tomatoe, 
like a little bird pecking itself out of a shell. 


I know better than to buy tomatoes this time of year. 
The tomatoes had no taste. 
So I put them into a fruit bowl.  At least they had color. 






What is it that they do to tomatoes?  Why would it last for two months at room temperature? 
The tomatoes looked perfectly fine on one side...
UNTIL I TURNED THEM OVER!





I scooped out some of the messy insides and low and behold, I have little tomatoe seedlings.  





young tomatoe plant, soon to be planted outside.  





Can't wait to taste it. 

Be safe, be strong.  

Gina 


6 comments:

  1. That is almost unbelievable Gina - never saw anything like it before! I hope they turn into delicious new tomatoes come summer.
    Nature. . . . . . . amazing and quite astonishing always!

    I also have a surprise 'flowering story' to share with you later - will email as soon as I have time! Why do I suddenly seem busier than ever - some people complain of boredom when in all honesty I'm enjoying my very busy at home
    days and therefore sleeping better at night now!

    Hugs 'gorgeous gardener' - you really do have amazing green thumbs!!!
    Mary X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Mary,
      Reading your latest posts tells me that indeed you have been very busy. Spring is so late in this area that I have so enjoyed watching your garden grow and your projects come to fruition. It all looks so very cared for and beautiful.

      Delete
  2. That is grotesque! It's like a nursery tomato - the seeds sprouting and finding life in the old one. I agree that out of season tomatoes are tasteless. I rarely purchase them and then regret doing so. Your tomato plant is going to give you so much joy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Lorrie,
      Yes, grotesque is what I thought. I almost dropped the tomatoe because I thought some nasty worm had invaded it. It looked so perfect on one side. Like you, I usually stay away from winter tomatoes but a salad needed a little color and sometimes the really small tomatoes on vines, do have some flavor.

      Delete
  3. How bizarre Gina and yet extraordinary. It is hardly believable that you now have some lovely new plants growing that will hopefully bring forth delicious tomatoes.
    Perhaps this is a metaphor for our current situation - out of the bad and ugly came forth good and beauty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Rosemary,
      You are so right. Isn't nature wonderful and so forgiving. Almost as if nature works extra hard to make sure that the species survive so generations to come will benefit.
      The real test will be to see if the new tomatoes will be an improvement over the parent.

      Delete