I HAVE NOT GIVEN YOU PERMISSION TO COPY OR PUBLISH MY PHOTOGRAPHS

Please be aware that I do not wish to have my photographs published , pinned or repinned on Pinterest.

copyright notice

Tuesday, September 29, 2020

Lakota Squash


 There is nothing better than a bowl of hot squash soup on a cold and wintry day. 



  We save our squash seeds from year to year. Lakota Squash is an American Squash cultivated by Native American Tribes as early as the 16th Century. 





Most of our Hubbard (green) Squash have taken on more and more of the Lakota characteristics.  The bees, birds and insects are to blame. 





 Cut up squash into large chunks. Remove seeds and bake at 350 for an hour or until soft.  After baking, mash the pulp and use in recipes for soups, breads, cookies, muffins, vegetable side dishes and more. 




Squash bread fresh out of the oven.  

  


Everyone likes (loves) my squash bread.



Squash pulp freezes well and is ready to use throughout the winter.





All winter squash are loaded with vitamins.  They keep well and are fun to grow.  They never disappoint. 
Until you grow your own, pick up a squash from your local grower and find out for yourself how versatile they are.


Have a wonderful week my dear Friends, 

Gina

Repost


6 comments:

  1. Gina your recipes and photos are always so lovely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Bonnie,
      Thank you for your visit. Do you have pears in your garden? If not, I would like to share. They are ripening right now.

      Delete
  2. It all sounds absolutely delicious especially the squash bread Gina. I have just made some butternut and sweet potato soup and finished it off with coconut cream which we really enjoyed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Rosemary,
      What an interesting recipe. I must try it. It sounds delicious. Have not used coconut cream but will get some next time I go shopping.

      Delete
  3. I'll be right over Gina. Yes, I'm almost at the point where I'll even travel masked/rubber-gloved/sanitized, whatever it takes to get to visit and share that gorgeous soup and bread!!!!

    I love all squashes - I'll be cooking a lot this autumn/winter. Have you added nuts to the squash bread? I see something which appears to be chopped nuts perhaps.
    I'm baking a cranberry/pecan loaf right now - will drizzle with orange icing once cooled.

    These lovely colorful photos would make anyone hungry!
    Love XX

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Mary,
    I like to add pecans and golden raisins to my breads. Your combination of cranberry and pecans also sounds delicious. Have I told you how much I love my Braun multimixer? Especially now that soup time has arrived I am especially thankful to have this wonderful gadget. Thank you so very much.

    ReplyDelete