I HAVE NOT GIVEN YOU PERMISSION TO COPY OR PUBLISH MY PHOTOGRAPHS

Please be aware that I do not wish to have my photographs published , pinned or repinned on Pinterest.

copyright notice

Wednesday, May 19, 2021

Der Bauerngarten

 

The much loved Farmer Garden in the Tyrol, Northern Italy.


From the book by Brigitte Griessmair and Anneliese Kompatscher "Vielgeliebter Bauerngarten"



No matter how small, a Bauerngarten always includes a few flowers.




Gardens of the South Tyrol,  Northern Italy,  are the pride and joy of the Farmer's wife





 There is a distinct division of labor, she is in charge of the "House, Garden,  Spinning and Feathered Animals".
He is in charge of "Field, Forest and Barnyard".




All Tyroler gardens have one thing in common; No matter how small or how large they are always surrounded by a fence, usually a picket fence.  Free ranging chickens, rabbits, goats  and deer make quick work out of a newly planted garden.





Gardens are not planted until the "Three Ice Kings" have come, usually around the middle of May.





Space is limited and so is the diversity of plants.  Seeds are saved from year to year.  One thing you won't find in a Farmers Garden are benches or unnecessary decorative objects.  You will, however, find a barrel or some other container to collect life-giving rain water.






 If the terrain allows, gardens are either square or rectangular in shape.  They are never attached to the house but are always nearby.




And sometimes gardens have to be cultivated where the terrain is difficult.





My vegetable garden is open to occasional marauders.  I'm thinking about enclosing it with a picket fence.



It's going to be a while before my garden will look like this again.

Die Drei Eisheiligen  (Three Ice Kings) are coming this weekend. 




8 comments:

  1. How lovely - it reminds me of my house in France - in the Alps, near Geneva. The gardens there are much the same, often merging into the fields in a haphazard way. I like the way they also grow 'cut flowers' with the vegetables. Hopefully I can get back there soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Professor,
      Hopefully we all get to travel again soon. Maybe in a few months you get to see your Alpine Home in France. Maybe you will share a few pictures.

      Delete
  2. Oh Gina - I know your garden will be as lovely and productive as always because you put so much effort and a huge heaping of love into it. I'll never forget how we cut the fresh greens for that amazing quiche you baked - mine just never turns out as well as that one did!
    I'm missing you a lot and thinking of you daily as gardening days must be underway now the weather is warming in your area.
    I'm much better - but dislike having to rely on medicine - however I feel so thankful that I'm able to tend the flowers and shrubs, and that all looks delightful right now before the heat really kicks in. . . . . which will be this weekend with several days ahead in the 90's, and no rain!!!!

    Love from us both XX
    P.S. Kinda glad we didn't go to England this week - the weather is just awful in my hometown - nothing but rain and chilly temps. Booked in for Sept. now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Mary, Winds are blowing hard, temperatures are falling...not time yet for serious gardening. As far as my quiche is concerned all it needs is a little extra heavy cream (something you should not have for a little while)
      Sadie and I were having a little time off and enjoying the little side terrace while the clouds were moving fast. Do you remember when we had cocktails in our little side terrace? I think that we talked about travel, a favorite subject for everyone. Hello to Mr. B

      Delete
    2. Gina, how could I ever forget any detail of our visit to your little piece of paradise! Yes, the cocktails were served on the side terrace, the quiche for dinner by the fountain, and dear Gene's tasty breakfast on the terrace too - so many lovely memories - and the four of us just chatting the whole time while viewing the birds at the pond.
      I'm doing much better thanks to the 'wonder drug' Prednisone! I feel blessed but know I can't stay on it for ever due to side effects. Doctor said yesterday we'll take 9 months to taper down the dosage and see how things go, meanwhile life continues on.
      They lied - those crazy weather people - late yesterday afternoon the rains came, good heavy downfall for an hour or more, so grateful for that. This morning everywhere looks washed and so fresh - I'm getting up earlier these days, at 6 am, not quite as early as you, but must say it's become my favorite time of day.
      Missing you and we talk of you just about daily - so many things remind us of you my dear friend.
      Hope Sadie is behaving!
      Mary (and Bob) sending love and hugs. OXOXO

      Delete
    3. Dear Mary,
      Would love to do it all over again.

      Delete
  3. What lovely images from the Tyrol. Our little potager is not enclosed, but the bunnies are having us rethink the idea. For now I have some plants covered with netting and that seems to help. I hope your Three Ice Kings have come and gone and that your garden will soon be flourishing once again.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Lorrie,
    Netting works for me as well. And it doesn't show as much. Sometimes I have to use a little chicken wire for some of my more persistent munchers.

    ReplyDelete