I HAVE NOT GIVEN YOU PERMISSION TO COPY OR PUBLISH MY PHOTOGRAPHS

Please be aware that I do not wish to have my photographs published , pinned or repinned on Pinterest.

copyright notice

Friday, January 22, 2010

Gold Leafing Tutorial II



Now that you know how, let's tackle a little more difficult project


The finished frame holding one of my hand painted tiles

See the cracks? They are called "Holidays". Underneath, showing through the holidays, you see red paint. It is actually "bole", a pigmented clay which imparts warmth to the gold leaf.



This is the beginning, a very unsightly frame, but made of good, solid wood.


















First, paint on one coat of red bole ("Old World Art Red Basecoat"), or red acrylic paint will do. Let completely dry.

Paint on white glue ("Old World Art Adhesive Size") wait until tacky (about an hour or two) and then apply gold leaf by laying gold leaf sheets onto frame. Polish with soft cloth until bright and shiny.








My " Temple of the Winds" capitals gold leafed and installed. The capitals are made of terracotta.



Columns are painted with faux marble treatment, they are made of wood.








Columns divide the hall from our Dining Room

Columns in situ

I used composite metal gold leaf (the inexpensive gold). Waited a few months until they tarnished a little to take away some of the brilliance. Then I antiqued them with a little "Old World Art Antiquing Glaze" and for the final step, sealed the gold with a fixative.

Working with real gold leaf (the expensive kind) is an all together different procedure. If you are interested in learning how, you will have to come for a visit.

Gina

3 comments:

  1. Wow!! I've come in from BYW and it is great to see this blog! I love this kind of work - the painted tiles & how you've given the frame a make-over. I'm glad I came here!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi vineeta, welcome, so glad you stopped by.

    Gina

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gina,this person knows what is involved with that type of artistry.Taking a class and doing it by ones self without supervision, is very different. I admirer you for all those wonderful talents you have. And a dedication to your love of painting those terrific tiles.
    Classie

    ReplyDelete