I HAVE NOT GIVEN YOU PERMISSION TO COPY OR PUBLISH MY PHOTOGRAPHS

Please be aware that I do not wish to have my photographs published , pinned or repinned on Pinterest.

copyright notice

Saturday, November 17, 2018

There is time to play a little.


The golden Acorn
Part I




So appealing and special for Holiday decorations. 




My charming friend Sieglinde sent these extra special acorns to me from Texas. 





We decided that we also liked them just the way they are.  






But, you have known me long enough to know about my penchant for gold. 




A simple 2 step process.
It is the gold leaf  ($12),  actually called metal leaf in craft stores,
 I use for craft projects. 

The Genuine Gold Leaf  ($80) I use for more important projects. 
The difference, metal leaf will eventually tarnish. 
 Real gold does not. 







 I couldn't help myself, I had to add a bit of gold to at least some of the acorns.
I used a gold pen on the acorn on the left. 
 Not shiny enough for me. 

Pour a little glue (specially designed for gilding, available in any craft store), into a small container and paint each acorn. 






Acorns painted with glue will slowly turn from white to clear. 






After about 20 minutes,  acorns will turn shiny and tacky.  
You now have about an hour to apply gold leaf.  





Lay on gold leaf and polish with a soft cloth.






Even one little acorn is charming.
And you have learned a new and golden craft. 

Your friendship is very important to me. 
Thank you for your comments.

Gina



https://tentoesinthewater.blogspot.com/
https://betweennapsontheporch.net/

20 comments:

  1. The gilded acorn is sublime! I have wanted to learn how to apply gold leaf for ages... and still have never tried it! Thank you so much for the clear instructions, with the helpful parts about how long you have to apply it and the difference between the craft store stuff and the real gold leaf!! I am going to make this a skill I learn this year! You are an inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Daydreamer,
    You will have so much fun. It really is easy. Soon you will be gold leafing the most ordinary objects and making them special. Make sure that the glue has dried to the point of being tacky to the touch and use a soft fabric to polish.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How lovely that your friend Sieglinde sent you those lovely acorns - it is surprising just how different they actually look to the ones that we get here. Love the magical touches of gold that you have added to them Gina, and I especially like the ones complimenting your lions on your first photo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Rosemary,
      I have always loved acorns and couldn't believe the size of those which Sieglinde sent to me. They just had to be covered in gold.

      Delete
  4. Dear Gina,
    it is my husband who surprised me one year when he brought these acorns from the park. They come from the bur oak tree and are very special. I put mine in a basket along with pine cones. I love your gold treatment but have not tried it myself. You always have such wonderful ideas and yours look beautiful.
    Hugs, Sieglinde

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear Sieglinde,
    That was a happy day when your acorns arrived. I would love to see what that bur oak tree looks like. Please thank Mr B for collecting them.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm glad to see you still gold leafing your amazing acorns Gina. I have some really large carved wooden ones and will to try doing this to them for the Holiday season. Right now time is my enemy and we lave for AZ Tues. so it will be a project for my return - along with a long list of other jobs!!!

    Hope all is well with you an Mr. G.
    Love & hugs - Mary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Mary,
      That will work. Just make sure that your carved acorns are not the collector type. It is not easy to remove the gold leaf if you change your mind down the road. Oddly enough, gilding cement works best. The make believe gold never seems to tarnish.
      Have a wonderful trip. Be safe and say hello to Mr Bob from us.

      Delete
  7. Gina - a fascinating application of gold leaf - I usually associate gold leaf with ancient books, or ceilings in historical homes. I am unlikely to adopt a new hobby such as this, but I sure liked learning about it and seeing the finished beauties. Thanks for sharing with Mosaic Monday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Angie,
      Gold leafing is one of the easiest hobbies to master. It really isn't a hobby but is a few hours spent with spectacular results.
      Thanks for hosting Mosaic Monday.

      Delete
  8. Oh you made them with genuine gold leaf! Indeed they look fabulous. Happy MM.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Ritta,
      No, these acorns were all covered with make believe gold leaf. They will eventually tarnish. And even then they look great.
      I reserve true gold leaf (which is applied with vodka) for good furniture pieces or the like.

      Delete
    2. Tell us about the technique with vodka. Sounds interesting.
      Myrna

      Delete
    3. Hello Myrna, When real gold is used the technique is called waterguilding. A little vodka is added to the water. More info below.
      recipe.http://www.atelier-st-andre.net/en/pages/technique/icon_technique/bole.html

      Delete
  9. What large and beautiful acorns. The gilding really makes them stand out. Wonderful idea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Lorrie,
      It's a fun afternoon project. I was asked, by the University Arts Department, to teach gold leafing to thirty 10 and 11 year olds. I envisioned gold leaf flying throughout the room. We covered candles and they did it beautifully.

      Delete
  10. Beautiful, your little golden acorn is just beautiful. Happy Mosaic Monday

    much love...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Gillena, Thank you for stopping by and leaving such a nice comment.

      Delete