I HAVE NOT GIVEN YOU PERMISSION TO COPY OR PUBLISH MY PHOTOGRAPHS

Please be aware that I do not wish to have my photographs published , pinned or repinned on Pinterest.

copyright notice

Friday, December 13, 2019

Not really a Christmas Story




Tucked away in the most northeastern corner of Italy





A special place called Südtirol

Where the cows go to green pastures and come home every evening to be in their cozy barn, where each cow has a hand painted name plate and her own window to look out from.





This is also the place where I buy my hand knit sweaters.
(The black sweater on the left is my newest acquisition).





From a special shop by the name of Trachten Stueberle





Where every balcony is  adorned with the most impossible and
luxurious flowers.





And where an elderly gentleman, of nobility, lives behind these towering walls.





He lives there, by himself, hidden.





In this enormous castle.





And every year I ask the locals: 'what do you hear from the old Gentleman' ? 

And always, a shrug of the shoulders follows.





And every year, I am hoping, that the elderly Gentleman will see me from his window, and send his manservant to invite me to have tea with him. 





And then I will sit quietly and listen.


Where is this magic place, you ask?

It is called Toblach/Dobbiaco in the Südtirol, where both Italian and German is spoken.

Each year I discover a little more and one day I will know everything.


Gina  


Repost 2011

8 comments:

  1. Such colorful photos and an enthralling memoir dear Gina! I wonder if the 'old gentleman' is still there - you have to return.
    What a beautiful place, and those flower-draped balconies so gorgeous. I loved seeing them in Europe, Germany and Austria seem to do them best!
    Your newest handmade sweater is so special - can't wrong with a fabulous black sweater which can be worn anywhere.
    Will answer your welcomed e-mail later.
    Love and hugs - Mary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Mary, Some of my sweaters are quite old. They all come from a company by the name of Wolkenstricker. Every part is hand knitted. You don't have to go all the way to Europe to find them...they are available from Gorsuch of Colorado.
      I'm sure that the old gentleman is not in residence anymore. It really would be interesting to find out "the rest of the story".

      Delete
  2. Love your sweater Gina and what a gorgeous area. I often wonder just how Südtirol people manage to keep their balcony flowers always looking so beautiful throughout the summer season - I wish I knew their secret.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Rosemary,
      I think that it has something to do with humidity. In many places of Germany and Austria I have seen ladies cover their balcony boxes with clear plastic at night to protect them from too much moisture. That would not be my case as I have to water mine at least twice a day in this high desert climate.

      Delete
  3. What a magical place to visit. I love that the cows are so very well treated, each with her own name plate! Your sweater is beautiful. I enjoyed this lovely little visit to a corner of Europe.
    Wishing you much joy,
    Lorrie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Lorrie,
      Many of the little towns in the Südtirol have similar evening parades. Often they also include goats. What is so wonderful to watch is that each animal knows his/her own gate and will readily go home without being prompted. In the early mornings the entire parade is reversed.

      Delete
  4. This looks like a place worth visiting just for the sweater-shopping! :-) Gorgeous pictures - thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Gretchen,
      Thank you for your visit. Actually, you can also purchase Wolkenstricker sweaters from a catalog company by the name of Gorsuch.

      Delete