I HAVE NOT GIVEN YOU PERMISSION TO COPY OR PUBLISH MY PHOTOGRAPHS

Please be aware that I do not wish to have my photographs published , pinned or repinned on Pinterest.

copyright notice

Wednesday, June 17, 2020

They are back

Now is the time to look for 


The Costco Pound Cake, Three in a package,  

(is only baked in the summer time) 


It is the basis for a very special cake.  


"The Daughters of the Utah Pioneers" Cake

also known as the DUP Cake.







Are you 18 years or older? Are you a lineal descendant of an ancestor who came to Utah before the completion of the railroad on May 10, 1869?  If so, you might win this cake!



Every year I am asked to contribute my famous, home made cake to the Daughters of the Utah Pioneers (DUP) bake sale. The first year it was auctioned off to a Professor of History from the "Big City". 
The next year a member of the DUP won my cake.





The very next year, I received a phone call the night before the bake sale asking me when exactly would I be bringing the cake. The caller was waiting for me at the front door. The next year, the organizer met me at the door and the cake disappeared.






The following year I received a phone call, asking me to please bring my home made  cake AND the cake recipe. My recipe? Oh no, I can't do that. It is a secret. But I will share my secret with you.


So simple, all you need is one pound cake, your favorite preserves and Butter Cream (recipe follows).






Cut pound cake (your own recipe, Sarah Lee or from Costco) into 3 or 4 slices.






Butter Cream: cream together 1½ sticks soft, unsalted butter,

2 to 2½ cups powdered sugar and

2 to 3 TB fresh lemon juice.






On first layer spread your favorite fruit preserve.







Next layer spread butter cream filling, and last layer, more preserves.

Cover entire cake with the remaining butter cream.  Decorate with violets or little violas.


Refrigerate. Keeps well. 

Even better the next day. 




Have a lovely weekend my dear

Blogging Friends


Gina


Partial re-post from 2012



8 comments:

  1. This cake looks amazing and the photos you took of the cake and your china are so pretty Gina.
    I've never tried the poundcake from Costco - usually make my own in round Bundt pan - but will definitely try it, and make this version of what is much like an English Victoria sponge with jam and cream! The violas are beautiful.
    Thanks for sharing x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Mary,
      The Bundt Pan would work, especially if you need a desert for a large group of people. The Costco Pound Cake is surprisingly good and so the the frozen Sarah Lee cake. But of course, your own cake would be even better.

      Delete
  2. It looks really attractive Gina - we don't have a Costco here, but it looks a very similar texture to a Maderia cake - do they think that you make the cake mixture? Best I think to keep it secret just so long as they don't read your blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Rosemary,
      I was found out some time ago, especially with my friends. But they have all copied the idea because it makes such a splash.

      Delete
  3. This cake looks delicious and attractive. Thank you for sharing your "secret" recipe with us. I've never tried the poundcake from any store, and don't know if Costco carries it in Canada.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Lorrie,
    Costco only carries pound cakes in the summer months. Most commercial pound cakes have an unpleasant after taste. Not so with those I have recommended.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Delightfully delicious-looking cake, Gina! Your design with the pansies must be copied! I will check out the supply of pound cakes on my next Costco visit! The DUP moniker is FUN! Merci!

    Mary in Oregon

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Mary,
      It is seldom that I use prepared cakes to decorate. This is the exception. It works. Of course you can always bake your own pound cake and the home-made butter cream is delicious even when used on other baked goods.

      Delete