I HAVE NOT GIVEN YOU PERMISSION TO COPY OR PUBLISH MY PHOTOGRAPHS

Please be aware that I do not wish to have my photographs published , pinned or repinned on Pinterest.

copyright notice

Sunday, November 22, 2020

Hyrum's sheep


This big guy has a name. 


I must ask Hyrum




Several years ago, on my daily walks,  I came upon a special place. 
Maybe you will remember my telling you about a very special family.





A family of 8 children,  all of them born at home, 
all of them home schooled. 
They built these cairns. 



They built them just because.

That was six years ago.  All have grown up.  All of them,  boys and girls alike,  have joined the Spring City Volunteer Fire Department and all of them are  certified EMT's. 



One of the children and now a handsome young mancomes by and helps me for an hour a week. 
Hyrum also helps other locals, works in the local Cafe, and goes to college on top of that.  All this he does on his bicycle.  
Other family members are just as hard working. 



We work together. Hyrum is always finished before I am,  
On his own he begins a new chore. 



Hyrum works harder and more intelligently than 10 others.  

And why am I showing you these sheep?  
They are Hyrum's and I am taking care of them for a little while, 
long enough for them to eat the field bare. 
All I have to do is brake the ice every morning in their water trough. 



The sheep are doing me a favor.  They are grazing down the field next to the house.  Reducing the chance of the field catching on fire. 



Speaking of fire....
Happy Thanksgiving, 
Gina 


10 comments:

  1. Dear Gina - you have an important task ahead of you looking after Hyrum's sheep, and they do look to be an interesting group.
    I do like to see stone cairns, we have them here but people mainly build them on the mountain tops. Stone building shapes and mounds in the countryside is something that man appears to have done forever.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Rosemary,
      This group of sheep is Hyrum's small group. The yearlings are with their mother in a different pasture. Recently Hyrum was seen on a skateboard racing down main street and at the same time carrying a bale of alfalfa weighing about 120 pounds. It was a spectacular site. Hyrum, tall and slender and with long hair flowing. His explanation? He needed to get fodder to his flock. Locals call him the "Herder." He herds his buck on a string and others follow.

      Delete
  2. You've mentioned Hyrum before which made me happy knowing a young person helps you out now and then. Learning even more about this young man, and what sounds like an amazing family, is really interesting. These days it's often so hard to find good help. Hyrum's sheep are a handsome group - hope they munch away happily on your field and help you feel safer Gina. Any news on a new lady for Clyde yet?

    Enjoy your Thanksgiving Day dear. Woof to Sadie.
    Our Love M&B

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Mary,
      It is going to be interesting to watch every one of this extraordinary family. I have a pretty good idea. I wonder if they will leave this little valley.
      There is a bird refuge in northern Idaho who will ship adult geese. Interestingly, they only ship from October through March. Apparently geese become easily overheated. We are working on a plan.
      Happy Thanksgiving to you and Bob.

      Delete
  3. You and Hyrum have a mutually beneficial relationship that extends to sheep and land, as well. I'm so glad you have someone to help you out.
    Stone cairns are a lovely sight and we see them often on hikes.
    Have a Happy Thanksgiving, Gina.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Lorrie,
      Most of the cairns have now been destroyed. It did not stop the children. They all built a new cairn scene along the stream bed of property their grandmother owns.
      Even though Hyrum comes only for a very short time every week, he is a miracle worker and it will be difficult to do without him should he decides to leave this little town.

      Delete
  4. Happy Thanksgiving, Gina!
    My daughter's orchestra teacher, Frank Lestina (now retired), is an excellent cairn builder and he shows his creations frequently on his FB post! I've never tried it; it appears difficult and I would need to have lots of patience, I believe!
    What a great trade off you have arranged with your dear friend and neighbor, Hyrum. I, too, have a couple of young men (next-door neighbors!) who are very energetic and we see to enjoy helping each other whenever the situation arises! Those rams are a handsome lot, I must say!

    Mary in Oregon

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Mary,
      Yes, Hyrum's sheep are a handsome lot. Hyrum gives some of them the most interesting haircuts. A barber would be impressed.
      I will look up Frank Lestina's Facebook page. It will be interesting to see his approach to building cairns.
      I'm glad that you have neighbors who can help you. When you are alone, another helping hand on the opposite side is so important.

      Delete
  5. Frank is located in Illinois should there be more than 1 Frank Lestina!

    ReplyDelete