I HAVE NOT GIVEN YOU PERMISSION TO COPY OR PUBLISH MY PHOTOGRAPHS

Please be aware that I do not wish to have my photographs published , pinned or repinned on Pinterest.

copyright notice

Friday, February 19, 2021

It's a small world afteral

 

And full of Surprises


This is Mathilde (Tilly for short) our resident Goose




This is Mathilde's look.  Always on the alert.   
 Mathilde has ruled our pond for more than sixteen years




You might recall the story I told you when Tilly lost her friend Leopold.  She would not eat or drink for days, standing by the greenhouse and hoping that her own reflection in the glass was Leopold and that sooner or later he would come out.




Mathilde could not be consoled, which is strange because when Leopold was still alive Mathilde took every opportunity flirting with every goose that showed up on our pond.  Wild geese, who visited, where told where they could swim and where they could rest under the big elm tree.





source: Snow College

Not long ago I was teaching a "Historic Tiles Painting Workshop" in a remote Forest Service Camp.  The camp had been purchased by our local College and all forest cabins had been beautifully restored.  Among my group of students was a grandmother (not just any grandmother, but the Professor of Music, graduate of the Julliard School of Music, New York),  her two grown daughters and an eleven year old, charming little girl, her granddaughter. 




Because Tilly was grieving so for her Leopold we decided to find her a few pals.  She loved them all but decided that one beautiful, all white little goose, was her favorite and soon they became an item.  This little goose is very special.  Whenever we sat outside she would join us, turning her head this way and that, listening to our conversation.




What makes this little goose so special is that she was hand raised by an eleven year old girl. 
Yes, the same charming and talented little  girl who took my painting workshop.  She had named her little goose Violet. 

When we looked for Tillie's companions we found them at a distant farm.  At the time we only met one family member.   The little girl was too sad to come out of the house because she had hand raised Violet from the day she hatched out of her egg... 
"because she was sickly". 




What a small world after all!  




Violet has found a good home and a good partner.  They have raised many a group of sweet goslings.  


It is Mathilde who is the Father of our little goslings.  
He is the most considerate mate and the most loving caretaker you will ever meet.

TILLY IS A BOY GOOSE 

This we didn't know for almost sixteen years. 

Gina 
partial repost

12 comments:

  1. It’s a beautiful story and I love geese.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Catherine,
      Thanking for stopping by and leaving such a nice comment.

      Delete
  2. That was a really lovely story Gina and an unexpected turn up for the books - have you given him a new, more appropriate name now. One of my DiL's is called Mathilda and we also call her Tilly too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Rosemary,
      Once Mathilde had fathered several offspring his name from then on was Tilly. After having him for many years we just couldn't give him a completely new name. Before us, Tilly was owned by a family in a neighboring town. The family also didn't know that Tilly was a gander, The family had to give him up because he was making too much noise. All he wanted was a companion.

      Delete
  3. Such a fun and heart-warming story! I'm glad Mathilde has found true love.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Lorrie,
      As you may have noticed Tillie's story was written a few years ago. I wanted to share something light-hearted with my readers. It is cold and dreary around here. Not even a little snowdrop leaf showing.

      Delete
  4. Yes, thought that was an earlier story - lovely to read again and enjoy the brilliant photos.
    Am I correct in thinking you haven't found another mate for Clyde yet Gina. I loved reading in your email that he comes looking for you at mealtimes!
    You continue in my thoughts daily - and am hoping that after this sad week you will regain happiness as you contemplate spring in the garden and by the lovely pond with geese, ducks and all the other feathered friends.
    Our love, Mary & Bob

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your correct Mary. No mate for Clyde yet. He has had a lot of company. He keeps hoping that the wild Canadian Geese will accept him. In the meantime a solution has been found. A neighbor is going to save a few eggs from his Emden geese. He will also provide me with an incubation box. I've raised chickens that way. We will see.

      Delete
  5. Now you have me wondering...Gina! My grandmother's name was Matilda, but, of course, she was Grandma to me, but maybe she also was called, Tillie? Heartwarming story and it made me laugh - always good while I am here alone. Sorry, Matisse(my cat); it would REALLY be lonely if you weren't here with me! Just a few minutes ago he ran up beside my chair and put both front paws on my hip, got me to look at him, and then he ran upstairs, knowing I would get up and follow him (regular routine!!!). Stay safe, smile and laugh whenever you can! That's my motto!

    Oh - and I cannot believe I made that silly mistake a while back and used Perugina as the name of the town, Perugia! It was probably because I bought Perugina chocolates to give to my friends along with their valentine cards I had crafted and that name was uppermost in my brain!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dear Mary,
    Isn't it nice that we have the time to be with our animals and learn and appreciate the comfort they give. We can all tell so many wonderful stories about how they have adapted themselves to our lifestyles.
    No worries about Perugia, which by the way and you know so well, is a charming Italian town. Not too big, not too small and a great town for extended visits.

    ReplyDelete
  7. We were in Perugia for 3 overnights and my memories are of the large square with many students sitting on the steps to the church, the walkways going up and down inbetween beautiful buildings and then many tunnels we walked down to get to the train! Good coffee and a panini in a small bistro on the square also come to mind! I spoke to one student who actually was from the NW USA and the friendly hotelier who offered to drive us down to those tunnels for our early train! Beautiful vistas and sunsets!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Mary,
      Where you not surprised to see so many important artefacts displayed along the many tunnel openings.

      Delete