I HAVE NOT GIVEN YOU PERMISSION TO COPY OR PUBLISH MY PHOTOGRAPHS

Please be aware that I do not wish to have my photographs published , pinned or repinned on Pinterest.

copyright notice

Wednesday, August 22, 2018

My garden is growing...all by itself.




My garden



Nasturtiums for salads





Onions are almost fully grown.





Our favorite squash, Lakota, is doing well in the new patch.





Foxglove and State Fair Zinnias provide lots of color.





The Italians only grow one kale.

Lacinato Nero de Toscana.

There is a reason.  It is delicious, nutritious and easy to grow and handle.  




These peppers where planted by mistake.  They are quite large.  

Do you know what they are? And do you have a recipe?  Could one stuff them? 




My tuberous begonias never disappoint.  I can't remember how old they are.  
They go into a dark corner in my greenhouse and I don't see them until April of the following year.  




Everything is maturing all at once...there is not enough time in the day to get it all harvested. 

There will be lots of vegetables and fruits to share with friends and neighbors 

There will be lots of apples this year for the pig farmer.




This turned out to be the best mixed lettuce seed packet. 
I'm heading for Italy soon.  Will look for another.





This is one of the last hollyhocks, a reminder to gather their seeds. 




My old rose bushes surprise me with a few blooms now and then.  

Wishing you a great week ahead.

Gina 


https://betweennapsontheporch.net/

12 comments:

  1. Your garden is full of delights, both edible and decorative. I have a pan of tomatoes from my garden roasting in the oven this morning and they smell so wonderful. I planted Lacinato Kale for the first time for my fall/winter crop. It's doing well so far and should be fine throughout our mostly mild winter.
    Enjoy your trip to Italy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lorie, roasting your tomatoes sounds great. Do you slice them first and do you use any spices? I have roasted sliced beets and made beet chips out of them. The recipe is somewhere in my blog posts.
      Thank you for stopping by and commenting.

      Delete
  2. Wel, I must say that I have been gardening for 40 years and my gardens have never looked that good. Green thumb and soil? I don't know, but those onions are impeccable. I grew mine in raised container beds at my city house this year and I don't think they got over a half dollar. Wonderful results. Need to be in a magazine.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gina, I wish I could help now everything is calling out to be harvested/cooked/canned etc! At least now I can picture you, and G, in your fabulous garden, working hard from before dawn until dusk. I'll never be able to erase those pictures from my mind, and of course the photos will allow me to relive those fun days with you over and over!
    Mary x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Gina - what a truly magnificent bounty you have both produced from your garden - raising them from your own seeds too is so much more satisfying - flowers, fruit, and vegetables. I do hope that you have plenty of willing hands to help you gather them in before you depart on your grand Italian trip.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Rosemary,
      We live in a small community where busy families still enjoy preserving vegetables and fruits. So we share. That helps and we don't feel so guilty about wasting when we have such a bountiful crop. Filled boxes with a for FREE sign and placed at the top of our lane usually disappear in no time.

      Delete
  5. Your garden looks wonderful! I have never heard of that type of squash. I need to check it out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Penny,
      Lakota is an old winter squash variety. It is my favorite. I use it in baking, soups or just as a side dish. It is loaded with nutrients and hold up well in storage. If you would like to know more just click on any of my squash posts that you see in the Label list.

      Delete
    2. Hi Penny, Your welcome. Give Lakota squash a try next time. It is a wonderful keeper.

      Delete
  6. Gina
    I suspect your “mistake” peppers are poblanos. Here is what I do with them. Put them on a rack under the broiler andoccassionally turn them until the skin is charred. Put them in a plastic bag to steam and cool. When cool, the skin should slide right off. Slice thepeppr open and remove seeds. Spread cooked shredded chicken or pork on the pepper then layer with shredded montery jack cheese. Put under broiler until cheese is bubbly. Serve with salsa, guacamole and chips. An icy margarita wouldn’t hurt.
    Steven

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Christine and hello Steven,
      We miss you. Want to come and make more apple juice? Pick plums and pears and peaches?

      Thank you for the recipe. We will give it a try. It sounds delicious.
      We usually take a big sack of peppers to the Mexican restaurant. Maybe we can ask her to fix them up for us.

      Delete