I HAVE NOT GIVEN YOU PERMISSION TO COPY OR PUBLISH MY PHOTOGRAPHS

Please be aware that I do not wish to have my photographs published , pinned or repinned on Pinterest.

copyright notice

Thursday, August 30, 2018

My Salsa recipe

                    

My Salsa gathered from my garden.



I never know how hot they are.  Two jalapenos was all I needed to make this Salsa very hot. 



A major ingredient in Salsa,  soon to become coriander, will be saved for next year. 






As I was pulling an onion for my Salsa I remembered an evening in France.

Driving along a country road, we decided that it was time to find a place to spend the night.  It was late and we were tired.  We stopped at the first available spot.

It looked a little rough but we knew that it would do.  We were very tired. We decided to have dinner and Mr G, after having driven for most of the afternoon, wanted a martini.






A martini of sorts.  A Gibson to be exact.  He explained to the waiter that it was similar to a martini but instead of an olive he wanted a small cocktail onion. 

Our waiter indicated that he understood. 

The Gibson arrived and so did a large garden onion on a plate, with garden soil still attached to the roots. 

We used every ounce of willpower not to burst out laughing.  Our rough looking waiter wore a very large and a very ugly red scar on the right side of his face.  In his limited English he had mentioned something about the French Foreign Legion.






My Salsa recipe is very simple.  It has only a few ingredients:
Tomatoes, Jalapenos, onions, cilantro and small amounts of olive oil, sugar, salt and balsamic vinegar. 

I can't give you the exact amounts because it depends on how many tomatoes I use and how hot the peppers are. 




Cilantro in bloom from my garden. The small leaves are still strong enough to give the salsa that particular flavor that gives it the South- of - the - Border character.  



While I was in the garden I picked a Zinnia bouquet.  
Did you know that Zinnias are native to Mexico?  

Wishing you a wonderful remainder of the week.  

Gina

https://betweennapsontheporch.net/

10 comments:

  1. Love salsa and zinnias and cosmos. My zinnias always get a powdery mildew. I think it is endemic in my area. I tried to find ice all over Europe; even at a McDonald's they didn't serve ice. A waiter in Nice brought me an empty glass. I simply could not get ice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Donna,
      Our Martini experience was many years ago. Things have changed, especially in Italy. There is nothing you can't get these days. What is still so very special about Italy are the people, the food, the architecture and the history.
      You might have to change the location where you are growing your zinnias. It is recommended that you water zinnias from the bottom, not sprinkle them from the top. I do both and for now, keeping fingers crossed, I have not had any problems.

      Delete
  2. I'm still laughing over the onion story - how did you and Mr. G. manage to hold back the giggles?
    Your fresh salsa must be fabulous - I'm still opening jars or tubs of store bought, but I do make a good guacamole from scratch!
    Flowers are beautiful in the blue patterned vase.
    I think Italy is calling - wish I was going!
    Love, Mary x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Mary,
      That Gentleman was scary looking. One look at his face, with the angry looking scar, froze our giggles. I know that you can tell similar stories. Travel exposes us to so many interesting situations.
      Would love to have your guacamole recipe.

      Delete
  3. Oh my! That onion story made me laugh out loud! I love homemade salsa. I need to remember to grow cilantro next year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Penny,
      That was a very formidable onion that Gentleman served us. I'm surprised that it came on a platter.
      Cilantro is very easy to grow. It even self seeds the following year.

      Delete
  4. The colours in your salsa look wonderful, and I too enjoyed your onion story which came complete with soil!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Rosemary, We wait all year to have enough tomatoes to make salsa or fried tomatoes. Both recipes require very ripe tomatoes. Have you tried fried tomatoes?

      Delete