I HAVE NOT GIVEN YOU PERMISSION TO COPY OR PUBLISH MY PHOTOGRAPHS

Please be aware that I do not wish to have my photographs published , pinned or repinned on Pinterest.

copyright notice

Saturday, September 25, 2021

All of a sudden, there they are.

They have been hiding under the big leaves.


Two different recipes 



Peel and thinly slice cucumbers,
add salt to taste.
Place upturned plate on top of cucumbers and add heavy weight on top  and let stand for an hour.
Pour off liquid.



Add a dollop of sour cream and a small amount of sugar to taste.  
place in refrigerator until serving time.



Serve chilled 
 
These crystal bowls are more than 75 years old.  They belonged to my mother who always served this particular salad in these bowls. 

They are the only treasure I have from my home by the Baltic Sea.

  

This cucumber dish was Mr G 's favorite. 

Peel and slice cucumbers, pour light vinegar and water brine to cover.  Add salt and hot pepper flakes to taste.

Happy weekend to you and yours, 
Gina 


10 comments:

  1. Dear Gina - I like the sound of the first recipe very much with the dollop of sour cream and will give it a try tomorrow. Hope all is well with you, and that you are taking good care of yourself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Rosemary, My garden didn't have any dill. So if you try my first recipe maybe you have a little dill on hand. It does make a difference.

      Delete
  2. Great ways with good for us cucumbers! Will give these recipes a try Gina. Nice that you are harvesting such awesome cukes this late in the year.
    Love your mother's glass bowls, and those 'fishy bowls' you painted are so pretty - were they a recent project?
    Gosh I miss you. Have just gone back to look at the photos from our visit - always remembered as it was so enjoyable.
    Take care dear friend - love from us both xx

    P.S. My mother always insisted I bring back a pice of her china - some of which was originally my grandmothers - during the many years I travelled back home to visit. I have several lovely pieces I will never part with.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Mary,
      For some reason fishes and bees have been my most recently requested bowls. The garden is coming to an end. Ducks and geese are moving in. Colors are changing to bright oranges. It's a beautiful time of the year.

      Delete
  3. The first recipe is similar to one I make - a classic European salad, I think. I love cucumbers. Your mother's glass bowls are so pretty, and how lucky you are to have them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Lorrie, Do you add dill in your cucumber salad? I would love to know how you make your cucumber salad.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great Aunt Gina! I am so glad I came across this blog. These recipes both look delicious, and so refreshing. Gene used to go on and on about those lightly pickled cucumbers at deer camp.

    -Chad Garner

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dear Chad,
    So wonderful to hear from you. I hope that you and your family are well. Uncle Blain is thinking about coming for a visit...maybe you can join him.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That would be a very special visit, Blaine is always a fun time. I love hearing the stories he always has.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dear Chad, All the Garners are great storytellers. One of these days Blaine might tell you the story of how he tried to teach me how to ride a horse.

    ReplyDelete